When we first opened our doors our first ever menu had chilli con carne on it. Every menu since has pretty much had Chilli on it in some form. Lately it’s been all over the shop- literally topping fries and even hot dogs. This summer we decided to axe the meat completely and let our vegan friends join in the awesome chilli action- so here it is our first ever vegan chilli.
Vegan chilli recipe- serves 8/10
- One jar hot Jalapenos
- One tin of retried beans
- 1200g (1.5 large tins/3 small) chopped tomatoes
- 3 onions
- 3 peppers
- Rape seed oil
- Tomato puree
The BBQ bit
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- You could also use a BBQ rub with the extra boost of chilli powder
- Fine dice the onion in the food processor or by hand
- Dice the peppers into half cm chunks
- Sweat the onions in a large pan on a medium high heat,in rape seed oil, once soft add all the BBQ spices (except the sugar!) to the pan with the diced peppers, allow to cook a little longer til you smell the spices
- Next add the retried beans again mix well and allow the flavour to settle in. Reduce the heat of the pan to low (2 or 3)
- Add the chopped tomatoes last- cover with a pan lid and allow to simmer f0r a good hour to let the flavour really get going.
- After an hour add the tomato puree and brown sugar and taste.
- Finally take off the heat and allow to cool. Once cool drain the peppers and add them to the mix.
To Serve- reheat with your choice of rice, fries, guacamole, sour cream or cheese